Drain Jetting (sometimes called Jet washing or High Pressure Water Jetting) is a very effective method for quickly clearing blocked drains.
What is Drain Jetting?
Drain Jetting involves using a high-powered pump to force water at high pressure, along a high-pressure hose, and through a special high-pressure jetting nozzle. The water blasts out of the jetting nozzle at very high pressure, making it extremely effective at clearing nearly all types of drain blockages.
The holes in the jetting nozzle are angled in such a way, that when the water jets spray through the nozzle, the pressure and direction of the water jets drive the hose along the drain pipe.
When is High Pressure Water Jetting useful
Drain jetting is very effective at clearing most types of drain blockages. If you are suffering with persistent, or recurring blockages, then drain jetting may be the best long term, and most cost-effective solution.
What type of blockages can drain jetting clear?
Drain jetting can be used to clear most types of drain blockages, it can even be used to remove blockages caused by tree roots. Some of the drain blockages that drain jetting can be used to unblock include:
- Tree roots in drain – drain jetting can be used to blast through invasive tree roots and clear blockages caused by tree roots in drains. The high pressure water jets are powerful enough to blast right through tree roots in drains.
- Fatty deposits and grease – drain jetting is an effective way to help clear drain blockages caused by the build-up of fatty deposits, or grease. It is sometimes used in conjunction with special drain rods.
- Pipe scale build up – drain jetting can be used for blockages, or reduced drain flow due to pipe scale build-up.
- Soil, silt, wipes, sanitary waste – drain jetting is very effective for clearing blockages caused by soil, silt, or general waste build up in drain pipes.
Drain Jetting Prior to CCTV Drain Survey
Drain jetting is often performed prior to a CCTV drain survey, in order to ensure the drain pipes are free of blockages and debris. This is important as it improves the quality of the CCTV drain survey and ensures that any faults or issues with the drain system can be picked up through the CCTV survey. Therefore, when you get a drainage survey quote, you ensure ensure that drain jetting has been included in the CCTV drain survey cost.
Drain Jetting advantages
- Quick solution for clearing blocked drains
- Environmentally friendly option as removes the need for chemicals to clear blockages
- Can be used on wide variety of drain blockages
- Suitable for use in all types of drain
- Non-invasive, little disruption, removes the need for excavation
- Cost effective solution
Will the contractor need to use your water?
No, the water is supplied by the contractor and is recycled during the jetting process, eliminating the need to use additional water.
Drain Jetting Cost
The cost of drain jetting varies depending on the location (some locations like London are more expensive), the time required to clear the blockage, and the time of callout (out of hours callouts are often more expensive. Typically drain jetting charges start at around £90-£100.